The Melbourne-based Battle of Crete and Greece Commemorative Council recently released its commemorative program for 2017.
This lists a range of important commemorative events scheduled to be held throughout the year in honour of the Greek and Crete campaigns of 1941. These include historical presentations, major ceremonies and parades and unveiling.
Amongst the other events, particular dates to keep in your diary are:
- 12.30pm, Sunday, 21st May - Battle of Kalamata commemoration and wreath laying, Australian Hellenic Memorial, Domain Gardens
- 10.am, Saturday, 27th May - Official Parade and Wreath Laying Ceremony, Shrine of Remembrance forecourt
- 11.30am, Saturday, 27th May - Battle of Crete commemoration and wreath laying, Australian Hellenic Memorial, Domain Gardens
- 7pm, 4th August - Maleme - Fulcrum of War presentation by historian Dr Peter Ewer, Greek Centre, Melbourne
- 7pm, 6th November - Anders Lassen and the liberation of Thessaloniki commemoration, including a presentation by myself, at Denmark House, Melbourne.
You can view and download the program booklet by clicking here.
Congratulations to all involved in the Battle of Crete and Greek Campaign Commemorative Council for again putting together an important range of events - ensuring that the service and sacrifice of the Anzac's, Greeks and other Allied soldiers who fought in the defence of Greece in 1941 and beyond are not forgotten. Well done.
Secretary, Lemnos Gallipoli Commemorative Council
Member, Battle of Crete and Greek Campaign Commemorative Council