|Greek Campaign veteran Frank Gill's daughter (speaking) with British veterans of the Greek campaign at the Battle of Kalamata commemorative service, 2016. Photo Jim Claven 2016|
We have been advised of the following commemorative events to be held in Greece across April and May 2018.
The annual commemorative service held on Lemnos will be held on 20th April 2018. This years events will centre on the Mudros area on the eastern side of Mudros Bay.
We are glad to announce that a feature of this years program will be the unveiling of a new memorial on Lemnos at the site of the Australian Pier, erected by Australian soldiers in March 1915. This new memorial has been a major project of the Lemnos Gallipoli Commemorative Committee, and now with the support of the Victorian Government and the Regional and Municipal authorities on Lemnos, this important marker from Lemnos' role in the Gallipoli campaign will now be recognised.
A big thank you to our Vice-President, Ms Christina Despoteris, for all her work in liaising with the authorities on Lemnos both on our Australian Pier project and our Committee's participation in the commemorative events on Lemnos.
For more information on the history and significance of the Australian Pier, please read my article in The Gallipolian magazine by clicking here.
The program of events can be read by clicking here.
|Commemorative service at East Mudros Military Cemetery, 2015. Photo Jim Claven 2015|
The annual Anzac Day commemorative service will take place at 11am on 25th April 2018 at Phaleron Military Cemetery in Athens. All welcome to attend this event. As more information becomes available we will update this post.
|Anzac Day service at Phaleron Cemetery, 2015. Photo Jim Claven 2015|
A commemorative event is scheduled to take place at Pylos on 6th May, commencing at 1pm, followed on the same day with an event at Methone. These events will comprise the unveiling of a new plaque at each location in commemoration of the Nino Bixio (Pylos) and Sebastiano Veniero-Jason (Methone) tragedies of WW2. These plaques have been produced in Australia (pictured below) - funded by veteran Bill Rudd, the Melbourne-based Papaflessas and Navarino communities - and will be installed by the Municipality of Pylos-Nestor at Pylos and Methone respectively.
The Municipality of Pylos-Nestor is organising this event. A big thank you to all involved - in Australia and Greece - in bringing this project to a reality. Further details on these events will be posted when available.
|The Pylos and Methone Plaques at their unveiling in Oakliegh, Melbourne, December 2017, in the presence of the Australian veteran and survivor of the Nino Bixio tragedy, Mr Bill Rudd (second from left). Photo Jim Claven 2017|
|The Nino Bixio Tragedy Memorial to be installed at Pylos. Photo Jim Claven 2017|
|The Sebastiano Veniero-Jason Tragedy Memorial to be installed at Methone. Photo Jim Claven 2017|
The annual commemoration of the Greek campaign of 1941 will take place at the Battle of Kalamata Memorial in Kalamata on the 8th May 2018, commencing at 11am. The service will be conducted at the Memorial in the Railway Park, Kalamata.This will include a wreath-laying service. Contact the Municipality of Kalamata if you would like more information. Further details on this event will be posted when available.
|Battle of Kalamata Memorial, Kalamata. Photo Brotherhood of Veterans of the Greek Campaign (UK)|
There will be a number of commemorative events held on Crete in May, as there is each year.
Below is a program of events recently posted by Hotel Mike (Maleme, Crete) with details yet to confirmed. It is provided only as an indication as to what might be in the program.
The Commemorations should be from Wednesday the 16th of May until Sunday 20th of May 2018. Details could be the following:
- Wednesday 16th May 2018 - 18:30 Monument of Nea Chora (small Harbor at Chania) (hasn't official confirmed yet.
- Thursday 17th May 2018 - 11:00 5th Cretan Division at Kolimbari. (hasn't official confirmed yet).
- Friday 18th May 2018 - 10:00 in the morning Firkas Fortress Flag Raising by Maritime Museum (hasn't official confirmed yet); 13:30 Memorial New Zealand - Australian ANZAC at 42nd Tsikaliaria St (hasn't official confirmed yet); 18:00 Galatas Hill Greek - New Zealand Memorial. (hasn't official confirmed yet).
- Saturday 19th May 2018 - 11:00 Ceremony at Alikianos - Keritis Monument (hasn't official confirmed yet); 11:00 R.A.F Memorial at Maleme , Crete Veterans Wreath Laying. (hasn't official confirmed yet); 15:00 Welch Memorial , at Galatas, Crete Veterans Wrath Laying (hasn't official confirmed yet); 8:00 Souda Bay CWGC Ceremony (memorial service, laying of wreaths) hasn't official confirmed yet).
- Sunday 20th May 2018 - 11:00 Doxology at Metropolitan Church in Chania. (hasn't official confirmed yet); 3:00 Ceremony at the German War Cemetery , at Maleme. (hasn't official confirmed yet); 18:30 Closing Ceremony at Maleme Airfield - Battle of Crete monument - , Air Show by the F-16 Demo Team ' Zeus ' (hasn't official confirmed yet).
Secretary, Lemnos Gallipoli Commemorative Committee
Member, Battle of Crete and Greece Commemorative Council
These details are provided for your information. While they are correct at the time of posting to the best of our knowledge, this information is subject to change and you are advised to check yourself with the relevant authorities to confirm any travel arrangements you.