Jointly organised by the Lemnos Municipality and the Lemnos Gallipoli Commemorative Committee, the Conference was held at Portianou Cultural Centre in the historic village of Portianou, on the western shores of Mudros Bay. Nearby to the Australian and New Zealand Rest Camps at Sarpi and the Australian Hospitals on the Turks Head Peninsula - as well as the resting place of many Anzacs in Portianou Cemetery - this was a fitting location for the first Anzac Conference on Lemnos.
The Conference theme was Lemnos and the Centenary of Anzac 2015 - Our Shared History. The Conference attracted speakers and participants from Australia, throughout Greece, Turkey and many local Lemnians.
Other key speakers included Committee founder the Hon John Pandazopoulos MP and Mr Stelios Mantzaris of Varos Village Hotel, a strong supporter of our Lemnos Gallipoli project.
The official Conference Report contains the background to the Conference, all major addresses and reports on the decisions and outcomes of the Conference. The latter included:
- the formation of the Lemnos Friends of Anzac
- the development or enhancement of Lemnos' Anzac trail
- the aim of enhancing access to a number of Lemnos' anzac sites
- a commitment to create a photographic display on the Island to the Lemnos Gallipoli link
- that the Lemnos Anzac Conference be a regular event on the Island; and,
- linking schools and the education communities on the Island and in Australia to research, publicize and promote understanding of this important cultural and historical link between Greece and Australia.
A copy of the official Lemnos Anzac Conference Report 2013 can be viewed by clicking here.
The Committee thanks all who took the time to attend and participate in the Conference - and especially the Municipality of Lemnos for is active support and generous welcome to their beautiful northern Aegean Island.
In particular we would thank Mr Demetri Boulotis, Deputy Mayor of Lemnos for his support and generosity. He has been a strong supporter and promoter of Lemnos' link with Anzac. We thank him for all his efforts in working with us and look forward to working with him in the future to make our projects and plans a reality for the benefit of Lemnos, its people and Australia.
We hope that all interested in Lemnos and its link to Australia, Anzac and Gallipoli, will enjoy reading the report of the Conference.
Secretary, Lemnos Gallipoli Commemorative Committee